Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Maui in April, part III


We highly recommend going on a snorkel trip to Molokini crater. The water had amazing visibility. We could see all the way to the bottom, and as such, saw and followed two sharks! We also saw an octupus and a few eels. The fish were, of course, plentiful and vibrant. Jeremy and I chose this day and the Maui Dive Shop's (S. Kihei Road location) trip out of Kihei because of my propensity for sea sickness. The boat trip out of Kihei was much shorter than a lot of the trips that go out of Lahaina. Jeremy checked the surf report and buoy readings to get an idea of when the ride would be the least choppy, and that's why we went this particular day. I didn't feel the slightest bit sick--it is nice to have a sea watcher on my team. The Maui Dive Shop tour ($60 per person) lasts 3 hours, includes stops at Molokini and Turtle town. The 7 am trip was perfect--we were the first boat of snorklers there and were gone before the droves came in from Lahaina. We were lucky enough to go on this trip with Jeremy's dad, whose enthusiasm made it even more exciting. It is a great memory for us.



Our next stop was turtle town. I love sea turtle (honu, in Hawaiian). Watching them glide through the water just fills me with peace. We saw three different turtles. Glenn was so enamoured that he followed one almost to the next bay. The captain's assistant had to go retrieve my father-in-law, who hadn't even realized how far away he'd gone.


We returned to find that Finn had slept in till almost 8:30. What?!? That's 11:30 CA time! Anyway, it was great because we packed up and joined the rest of the family at a nearby beach that was wonderful for kids (I believe it was Mokapu beach). The waves were super gentle.


We ate lunch there and then headed home for Finn's nap. When he woke up we were eager to introduce him to Hawaiian shave ice. We went to Local Boyz, in Kihei. We picked some awesome flavors (coconut and melon) and got mochi and sweet cream with it. Ugh. Want some now.

Finn is a kid who loves eating plain ice cubes. We went lolo for shave ice!

We spent the afternoon and evening playing at the pool and having BBQ burgers poolside. We found one situation where Finn will relax and kick back...the hot tub! His lounging cracked us up.


After the pool we followed Glenn out to the water's edge to catch the sunset.

I am so very glad I captured this series documenting Glenn and Finn's relationship as these are their last photos together. I only wish the lighting had been better.


I should point out that Finn rarely lets me hold his hand. I have to force him when crossing the street. I love that he willingly took his grandpa's hand and followed him.


That night we all gathered in one of the condos to have a family night. Glenn taught his grandsons an important life lesson and we just hung out together. Pretty special.



1 comment:

  1. what? Shave ice with mochi and sweet cream?! sounds amazing, I need one.

    ReplyDelete